Monday, January 2, 2012

Slow Cooker Double Corn Potato Chowder

Recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker

Slow Cooker Double Corn Potato Chowder
Prep Time  10 minutes
Total Time  5-6 hours
Serves 6

I found this recipe in an old crockpot cookbook that I got years ago.  It has become a staple in our house.  Very filling and comforting on a cold, rainy day. 



A few tips: 
I've made this using both the shredded and homestyle versions of hash brown potatoes.  The homestyle cut seems to make the soup a little heartier and not as "mushy".

I also prefer to use turkey bacon instead of pork.  It's much healthier, contains less sodium and stands up a little better during cooking.

I have also added in shredded, cooked chicken and it really adds another depth of flavor to this dish.

1 bag (16 oz) hash brown potatoes, thawed (4 cups).  
1 can (14.5 oz) whole kernel corn
1 can (14.5 oz) creamed corn
8 slices bacon, cooked and diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 can (14.5 oz) evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients in 3-6 quart slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or high heat setting for 3-4 hours.

Note:  Slow cookers vary in temperature and cooking rates.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh, this sounds sooo good. I'm going to add the ingredients to my grocery list now!!

    ReplyDelete